This two-day course offers both didactic and clinical hands-on instruction in all aspects of nitrous oxide/oxygen inhalation in general practice. It also covers oral sedation as a single agent and in combination with nitrous oxide/oxygen. Participants will learn about and have the opportunity to try, several types of systems. Participants will be required to read material (which will be distributed) in advance of the course.
- Hands-on administration of nitrous oxide using various techniques and equipment
- Clinical pharmacology, including nitrous oxide and oxygen, patient assessment, and risk management
- Clinical pharmacology of oral sedative agents, including mechanism of action, drug interactions, contraindications and reversal agents
- Indications and contraindications for the use of nitrous oxide sedation, oral sedation, and combined nitrous oxide sedation and oral agents
- Nitrous oxide equipment and various techniques for nitrous oxide sedation
- Nitrous oxide contamination and scavenging
- Monitoring – keeping patients safe, emergency kit, tips and tricks, drug interactions