- You will be asked to arrive at the hospital at least 11/2 hours before your operation. Go to the Same Day Surgery Unit on the 10th floor of the Victoria Building, Victoria General.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before surgery. Your surgery will be cancelled if you eat or drink after this time. Nausea and vomiting are more likely to occur during or shortly after your operation.
- Stop smoking at least 24 hours before your operation. Smoking can make your recovery more difficult and can delay healing. Smoking is not allowed anywhere on the hospital grounds.
- Do not bring valuables to the hospital. The hospital is not responsible for them.
- The nurse will ask you several questions about your health and take your vital signs (temperature, blood pressure, pulse and respiration).
- Be sure to tell the nurse if you have any medication or food allergies.
- You may need blood tests.
- The oral surgeon will speak with you unless he/she has already done so.
- Please brush your teeth well before coming to the hospital. Do not swallow any water.
- You will be asked to change into a hospital gown.
- Please give the nurse the name and phone number of the individual you want contacted after your operation.
Note to those waiting:
Patients who are having jaw surgery are usually in the Operating Room and recovery area for 4-8 hours. The length of time depends on the type of surgery needed. At the end of the operation, the surgeon will contact a friend or family member when asked to do so by the patient.